I'm reading the book review of Hannah Arendt in the New Yorker August 17th, 2026 issue. I have some things to say about today.
First - to introduce myself -- I am a somewhat ordinary person, in my own opinion. Not to smart. Not a great memory for details... I live in several spheres of reality... from the past to the science fiction future. My tastes in what people in the USA generally like is, in my opinion - untested, very mainstream. I have sometimes thought companies would do well to run by me fashions and advertisements etc and I could suggest the "winning" messages. I was born in NYC in 1949 so I am 77 years old as a write this and my health is relatively good, I hope, and my finances based on work as a librarian for about 40 years is based on a defined benefits pension (an old and VERY good thing), social security, savings, and medical insurances. In other words I am comfortable and able to do a lot of things I want to do...Travel, volunteer, sing in chorus', pray, enjoy friends... etc etc..
SO - what do I think about our world... most specifically about the United States of America and its current Republican President - D. Trump, and the Republican Congress.
I think, firstly, that the Republical Congress has not acted as it was designed to do. A strict interpretation of the Constitution would see this Republical Congress as one which has not done its duty and due diligence. It has allowed the so called Republican President to act without constraints based on that person's whims and interests. Those interests include self-agrandmizents such as starting a war he thought was an easy win, suggesting monuments to himself, destroying and threatening to destroy government buildings, and causing massive DISTRUST in the USA by its allies and its foes. Agreements with the USA cannot be trusted by anyone... as he will sign some agreement today and tomorrow change his mind and that agreement. The whipsawing of positions is CRAZY... and for a leader who has control of nuclear weapons and other powers - it is patently DANGEROUS. The Republican Congress , now and in the recent past, has refused to impeach and convict and thus end the reign of someone who is simply UNSTABLE. This is a mental health issue as well as political insanity. For many years now we have experienced lies and threats and while they will stop when his Presidency ends ... that cannot be too soon!
ONE ASIDE -- this President wants to be known for how special he is ... SO - he is the first President to be impeached twice. I would like to see him impeached a third time and then be the first to be convicted and removed from office. That would be benignly special and a better outcome than the continuing wars and taxes and tarrifs and deaths and confusion and mistrust that we are experiencing.
No comments:
Post a Comment